RealID changes have been removed For Now.
Now, I don't want to frighten anyone, but let's look at the proposed rollout of RealID - specifically what was changing and the limitations of the changes.
- Your Name would be used on all upcoming forum posts on the new Cataclsym/SC2 forms.
- This change was not retroactive, meaning older posts on the WoW forums would be unaffected, due to a technical reason (and probably some legal as well).
- In the public letter announcing the reversal of policy, Mike still stated that there are plans for RealID in the future.
- The new forums are still going in, this means the technology that would have allowed them to use your Real Name (dun dun duuunnnnn), will be in place.
- In place of "Your Name", you'll now have a unique handle with a game ID. Something I think most folks agreed was an acceptable compromise.
- The EULA/ToC still state that they can share your personal information.
I'd love to say that I can't see Blizzard doing this, but who knows any more? It's not that I don't trust Blizzard, it's that I don't trust anyone. It's not personal, it's just business baby.